10 Questions we ask every band...
The lovely chaps from Athura got in touch with us and were kind enough to answer one or two (or ten) questions for us. Read on to find out who they are, what they're doing at the moment and why music is important to monkey's and rusty headphones!
1). Members Names:Vocals- Matt Chapman, Vocals- Daniel Bache, Guitars- Jez Haddon, Guitars- Jon Heavens, Drums- Dave Fletcher, Bass- Rhys Jackson, Synths- David Giffard
2) When did you get together? We got together around 2 years ago at original formation, however have been a full lineup for just under a year now with recent additions in Matt, Rhys and Dan to complete our chunky lineup!.
3) How did you all meet? I met the other guitarist Jon at a metal gig, we chatted and eventually had a Jam. The end result was the beginning of Athura! The other members are from friends we knew and a few local bands.
4) How would you describe the music you make? I think Athura's sound is quite eclectic and varied, we are all fans of metal music in general, however some of us adore Death metal, one of us loves black metal (somehow!) and we are all suckers for melodies and guitar harmonies, but most of us are suckers for a groovy riff or technicality in music, so it is a blend really of many tastes that form the meaty ball that is Athura. For the record though, we class ourselves as Metal, although our influences are very diverse.
5) Who are your major influences?As a band, we have influences ranging from Soilwork, The Black Dahlia Murder, Strapping Young Lad, Parkway Drive, Sikth and many more.
6) Complete the sentence:One day as a band we hope to... One day as a band we hope to eat the biggest burger ever made between us! (Mainly Jon :) ) No we would love to play Download festival, at least it is something i've always wanted to do as a guitarist. And as many festivals as we can!
7) Why should people listen to your music? People should listen to Athura because we make honest, pure metal that I believe has its own unique twist on it, We bring our A game at live shows and put on a good show. That and we're pretty dedicated to what we do so when people dig us, it really means alot. Oh and they should listen to us because then we get more dollar! (Not really)
8) What are your plans for the coming year? Plans for the coming year are pretty busy for us! We have some plans for tours that are nuts which will be revealed soon i'm sure, aswell as possible album pre production later in the year. Our new stuff completely dwarfs our Ep for sure. We are looking for gigs far and wide so any promoters/booking agents should get hold of us via our Facebook page.
9) Where can people get hold of your album? We have our debut EP, End Of An Era available on Itunes, Amazon and most major digital distributors so please help us out alot by buying a song or two. We also have T-shirts for 6 pounds (a steal!) and physical EP digipaks that look amazing courtesy of our Guitarist/Graphic designer Jon Heavens for the small fee of 5 pounds. Please contact us through our Facebook again for any of these!
10) Finally - say something profound that will make everyone think! One day, when apes rule the planet again, a monkey will sit huddled in a cave surrounded by turd, wearing a pair of rusty old headphones headbanging to our music.
We've got a copy of 'End of An Era' mentioned above ready to go in the CD player right now so a review is going to be coming soon. For more details about Athura and to get hold of some of their shiny merchandise and their EP 'End of An Era, check out their Facebook page HERE.