Backhand Saloon were good enough to answer some questions for us about themselves and what's in the pipeline at the moment. Read on to find out more about the band and dogs buttocks.....yeah.....I wondered that too!
1). Members Names: Harry - Vocals Dan - Guitar Conan - Guitar Steve - Bass Mike - Drums
2) When did you get together? As with many great ideas, Backhand was the result of a drunken conversation. Dan and Conan were utterly hammered and decided to form a band. a few weeks after the night in question, they remembered and set about getting a band together. It all came together from there.
3) How did you all meet? Dan, Conan and Harry were part of the original line-up and had been friends for ages before that. Steve joined the band after his catalogue modelling career and line in aftershave took a nosedive, forcing him to move back to Devon and pick the bass back up. Mike was found in a terrible Take That tribute band. It was terrible for many reasons. He can't sing, he was the only member, he performed only in pants, and he only performed in car parks. Taking pity on him, Backhand let him play drums.
4) How would you describe the music you make? Dirty, Southern tunes designed for good times. It makes people move, smile and have a drink.
5) Who are your major influences? Cancer Bats, Johnny Truant, Lamb of God, Down, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Mastodon, Thin Lizzy... the list could go on for ages.
6) Complete the sentence:One day as a band we hope to... Play Wembley Stadium. It's cliched, but who doesn't? We're aiming to go as high as we can, reaching as many people as possible. We really love doing this, so making it big is the dream.
7) Why should people listen to your music? Three questions answer this one: Do you like Metal? Do like dirty, southern riffs? Do you like a drink and a good party? If the answer to those is yes, your life will be a better place if you give us a listen.
8) What are your plans for the coming year? We've just released our EP, which we're ridiculously happy about. We're playing Devon Rox which is a weekend event (6th and 7th of August) at Powderham Castle in Devon, headlined by Funeral for a Friend. That's going to be awesome. Aside from that, we're just gigging our asses off wherever we can get shows.
9) Where can people get hold of your album? We'll have copies of our EP with us at our shows, so people can grab one there. Steve might even let them see the gunshow at the same time. Alternatively, they can drop us a message on Facebook or Myspace and we'll see what we can do through the power of Paypal.
10) Finally - say something profound that will make everyone think! Why don't dogs have buttocks? Now, imagine a dog with buttocks. Confused? Upset? Slightly aroused? What you need is a nice sit down. Pour a drink and listen to our EP. We'll take your mind of those sexy little dog buttocks!
To find out more about Backhand Saloon and to hear their music, check out their Facebook page HERE.